Carlos Urrea / Dr. Sabrina Strickland : Week 8

 This was the final week of the Immersion program.

On Monday, I shadowed Dr. Strickland in the OR for the last time where she performed two tibial tubercle osteotomy distalizations. I also got to help my labmate, Salman Matan, collect healthy articular cartilage samples.

On Tuesday, it was my last day helping in the biomechanics lab. On top of helping Kalle with the usual testing and calibration, I watched how they tested a PVA meniscus in the joint simulator. It was interesting to see how the PVA meniscus could be used as a replacement and how testing is done to verify its mechanical compliance.

On Wednesday, I shadowed Dr. Strickland in the clinic where again I got to see the patient-clinician interaction and the imaging diagnostic process.

On Thursday, I presented about the immersion program to the HSS group and got to talk about how the research I did during the summer connects back to my research project in Ithaca.

Finally on Friday, due to my presentation, Dr. Scott Rodeo invited me to shadow a meniscal allograft transplant surgery. I believe this was a great way to close my time at the immersion program since this surgery related directly to my research project.

Overall, I had a good experience in NYC and I am grateful I got to work at HSS with the leading orthopedic surgeons in the US.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kenny Nguyen/Dr. Jonathan Weinsaft - Week 1

Carlos Urrea/ Dr. Sabrina Strickland: Week 7

Ellen Brooks/Dr. Robert Marx - Week 1